On May 13, 1917, the Blessed Virgin Mary, under the title of Our Lady of the Rosary, appeared to three humble children as they tended their sheep in a pasture in Fatima, Portugal. The beautiful Lady would appear to Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta in the Cova da Iria a total of six times that year.
At the time, the world was in turmoil. Europe was engaged in the First World War and Russia was on the verge of revolution. In His mercy, God sent Our Lady with the remedy by which the world might find peace again. That remedy is the message of Fatima.
Celebrate the 100th Anniversary
On Sat May 13, 2017, parishes around the Diocese of Raleigh will celebrate with the faithful 100 years of Fatima. EWTN has a website devoted to the anniversary, with information on the apparitions and a schedule of programming.
Here are events that you can attend on Saturday:
- St. Joseph’s, Raleigh – Mass at 8 am following by a Holy Hour that meets the requirements of a Plenary Indulgence (see below)
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Raleigh – 8:30 am Rosary, 9 am Mass, 10 am History of Apparitions, 11 am Mary’s Message, 12 pm High Tea Lunch, 1-3 pm Presentations on Fatima Today & More
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Rocky Mount – 10 am Missa Cantata followed by crowning, 12 pm Living Rosary at Immaculate Conception, 7:15 pm International Rosary Procession with the Pilgrim Statue, followed by international food festival in the Parish Hall and Fatima program to learn about the Message of Fatima
- Public Square Rosary Rally – Sponsored by America Needs Fatima; 11 am across from the abortion clinic at 1604 Jones Franklin Road, Raleigh
From St. Joseph’s bulletin, here is information on the plenary indulgence available on this 100th anniversary of Fatima (St. Joseph’s will have a Holy Hour Sat, May 13 after the 8 am Mass):
Jubilee Year of Fatima Plenary Indulgence
2017 marks the 100th anniversary of the apparition of the Blessed Virgin Mary to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal. In honor of this important centennial, Pope Francis has declared a Jubilee Year from the 27th of November 2016 till the 26th of November 2017. As part of the Jubilee Year, the Holy Father has granted the opportunity for the Catholic faithful to obtain a plenary indulgence under the normal conditions, which are detachment from sin, confession, communion, and prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father and meeting ONE of the following sets of conditions:
- Make a pilgrimage to the Sanctuary of Fatima in Portugal, “devotedly participate” in prayer or celebration in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, pray the “Our Father” and the “Creed” and invoke Our Lady of Fatima;
- Make a visit to an image or statue of Our Lady of Fatima that is on display for public veneration in any Church, Oratory, or “adequate place” on the anniversary days of the apparitions (the 13th of each month from May – October 2017) and “devotedly participate” in prayer or celebration in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, pray the “Our Father” and the “Creed” and invoke Our Lady of Fatima;
- If due to age, illness, or other serious reason are unable to meet either of the above sets of conditions should offer on the days of the apparitions (the 13th of each month from May – October 2017) join “spiritually the jubilee celebrations, offering with confidence to the merciful God through Mary their prayers and pains, or the sacrifices of their own life” in front of an image of Our Lady of Fatima while having repented of all of their sins with the firm intention of carrying out the normal conditions for an indulgence including confession and communion.
Movies on Fatima
Want to learn more about Fatima? There are a number of movies that depict the events that took place in Fatima: The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima (1952), Apparitions at Fátima (1992), The 13th Day (2009) and The Day the Sun Danced (cartoon).
Tell Us What Your Parish Is Doing
Do you know of other celebrations happening in your area? Comment below and let us know about them!